Investments into cooperative smart marketing with national and international airline partners have attracted three new aviation routes to the NT. The new routes are targeted to secure an additional 16,000 inbound seats from June 2018 to June 2019.
Jetstar commenced its inaugural flight from Brisbane to Uluru in August 2018, Virgin Australia commenced direct flights into Brisbane from Alice Springs in June 2018 and Donghai Airlines launched a non-stop service from Shenzhen, China in May 2018 with the number of Chinese travellers to the NT per month tripling compared to previous monthly figures.
'Smart Funding' assistance has been made available to local operators to enable them to adapt their experience and collateral for Chinese visitors. Operators can apply for one-off support funding of up to $2,000 to complete a range of improvements to contribute to their China Readiness.
- translating restaurant or room service menus
- producing videos with Chinese subtitles or Mandarin voiceovers for touring
- translating signage and safety cards
- purchasing hotel room amenities e.g. slippers
- producing welcome letters, hotel fact sheets or local maps in Chinese
- producing in-room TV Chinese language information videos or subscribing to Chinese newspapers for hotel guests.
To stimulate competitive flight prices to the NT, airfares between Alice Springs and interstate capital cities purchased through Webjet during October 2018, were discounted by Webjet and Tourism NT.
To promote the new Virgin Australia route from Brisbane to Alice Springs, travel agents from the Flight Centre, Infinity Holidays and Australian luxury boutique travel companies, Journey Earth, Savenio and Main Beach Travel were invited to tour the Red Centre to gain first-hand experience of the region, to assist them in selling packages to Australia’s heartland when they return home.
Tourism NT have been working closely with a number of international operators, and attending events, to showcase and draw their markets to the NT.
- ATEC Meeting Place – Darwin
- Tourism NT-led Adventure NT Sales Mission, Shenzhen, Shanghai and Singapore
- attendance at Tourism Australia-led Corroboree Asia and hosting of Top End and Red Centre famils for front-line retail agents post event
- attendance at Tourism Australia-led India Travel Mission, Jaipur
- Donghai Airlines aviation co-operative campaigns (Greater China)
- Jetstar Asia aviation co-operative campaigns (Singapore and feeder routes)
- Jetstar Asia livery launch
- Singapore Aviation/SilkAir aviation co-operative campaigns (multiple international markets)
- Tourism NT hosting of Mainland China trade famil promoting the Red Centre as an add-on to the new Virgin Hong Kong to Sydney route.