The NT Government has committed $5.5 million to new interpretive displays at Tennant Creek. The projects will be delivered over two financial years in 2018/19 and 2019/20. The project includes plans to upgrade the Visitor Centre at the Battery Hill Mining Centre, to create a central hub to feed into interpretive and interactive experiences across the region.
A number of visitor services, displays and artefacts are located at the site, including:
- the Barkly Region accredited Visitor Information Centre and retail centre including a small café and meeting room
- a relatively new minerals museum
- the new Borella Display which recognises the achievements of a WWI VC winner who came from the local area
- a demonstration mining tunnel into which visitors can walk and obtain a tour guide led interpretive experience
- a working ore battery which is accessible as a guided tour product
- a display of Barkly region pioneering history and artefacts
- various mining relics situated throughout the site.
This stimulus boost is on top of the $2 million investment for new entry statements into Tennant Creek announced last year.
- Tender for Battery Hill Mining and Visitor Centre buildings condition and services report awarded to Guard Solutions, a local Tennant Creek business. Report due for completion November 2018.
- Consultation with Traditional Owners is ongoing to establish a Heritage Mining Trail.
- Tenders for Battery Hill and Heritage Mining Trail Interpretation plan to be awarded late 2018.
- Streetscape consultancy brief incorporating crime prevention through environmental design (CPTED) report on main Patterson St area underway as part of the Barkly Regional Council $1.45M street scape project.
- Tender for streetscape design including new interpretive signage from the Town Centre to Battery Hill Mining Centre and Nyinkka Nyunyu Indigenous Cultural Centre to be awarded early 2019.
- Visitor Centre refresh works still to be commissioned subject to the condition and services report with expected completion October 2019.