The Litchfield Central Valley development is an exciting Turbocharging Tourism initiative to open new campgrounds and swimming holes in Litchfield National Park.
In February 2019, the NT Government announced additional funding of $6.2 million to fast track the project, create jobs and ensure access to the new swimming spots through the construction of new 4WD tracks.
The funding announcement brings the total investment of the project to $17.5 million.
The project will be carried out in stages:
- Stage 1: construction of 18km access road works is currently underway by local firm Aldebaran Contracting Pty Ltd. Forecasted for completion in August 2020.
- Stage 2: Design & Document contract for the campground and recreational areas was awarded to Rodeghiero Fong & Partners (WGA) to be utilised for the Stage 4 construction tender and works.
- Stage 3: construction of 10 campsites within the northern campgrounds as well as pit toilets and an information shelter, day-use area (designed by Wallbridge Gilbert Aztec) and associated 4WD access tracks have been awarded to Ostojic Group. These works are due to completion in 2021.
- Stage 4: construction of the remaining two campgrounds, two recreational areas, as well as the staging and lookout area at the top of the escarpment in forecasted for release in the coming months.
In a further update, site names can now be confirmed for the new Central Valley sites. These names reflect the plant species and rock formations in the area:
- Site 1 Cycad Springs Campground
- Site 2 Kapok Pools
- Site 3 Bloodwood Creek Campground
- Site 4 Crystal Springs Campground
- Site 5 Red Rock Gorge
- Site 6 Central Valley Escarpment
View the Litchfield National Park Central Valley map .